How can I recover investment losses? How much does it cost?

If you have suffered losses in your retirement account, you may have a claim to recover those losses. There are times that losses are from the market, but often these losses are due to your financial advisor not properly managing your account. 

Unlike a used car salesman, your financial advisor has a duty to make sure that every investment that he/she sells you is appropriate for you. This includes making sure it is appropriate for your risk tolerance, aka as suitability, making sure that you are not over concentrated in certain investments or sectors and that they have done their due diligence to ensure the investment product sold to you is appropriate.

Feel like you have a claim?  The most likely the way to act on that is through the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration. You can recover significant funds if you have the right attorney.

How much does it cost to bring a claim against my financial advisor?

If you have suffered investment losses as a result of your financial advisor, you can bring a claim to recover those losses. Our fee is contingent on the outcome of the case. However, in most cases you, the client, will be responsible for the costs of the action. Typically this consists of filing fees and often expert witness fees. While expert witness fees will vary depending on the type of case and the issues involved (though they range from $5,000 – $15,000 excluding trial testimony) FINRA publishes its fee schedule:

In closing, you can recover your investment losses if you have been the victim of negligent or fraudulent advice from your financial advisor. While it may require a modest investment from you in the form of costs, we will always review your case for free and if we believe it to be meritorious, will agree to a fee structure where there is no fee for you unless we win.

Sean M. Sweeney is a shareholder at Halling and Cayo, a full service law firm in Milwaukee, WI and the head of its Securities Litigation team.

He represents individual and institutional investors in FINRA arbitration and court nationwide. He recovers investment losses from fraud or breach of duty from their broker-dealer.

Contact him at (414) 755-5020 or via e-mail at to see if he can help recover your funds.